Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Saturday Morning Insta-Vacation

May 1st, 2010; 2:37 PM

Current mood:relaxed
Every Saturday seems to have hints of the same melody played over and over again. At first it begins with the lovely warm sun playing over my body, streaming in through the window above my bed. I wake gently on these mornings. Naturally. No matter what time I went to bed the night before, my body wakes up early as if it is another work-day. I get mildly annoyed at myself for that. I'm getting old. Programmed really. I don't want to be, but I am. But waking on Saturday is at least calm and peaceful. There is no rushing or forcing. I can stretch and roll over if I want. The dog will notice when I move. She'll get up and come look at me. Check to see if I'm ready to get up yet? Ask to get under the blanket next to me, by gently nosing my arm. I lift the comforter and she knows the drill. Her long sleek body courses it's way through the tunnel of sheets and bedding. She lines her back up to my side, curving to match the curve of my hip and waist. My arm reaches down and I pet her ears. She gives me soft dog-kisses of appreciation. I like these moments. At somepoint I'll usually get up and write a bit. And then go back to sleep a bit. Eventually it is my body's natural functions that force me to abandon my soft nest. My bladder pushes down on me forcing me to the bathroom. I pad softly with barefeet on the cold 1940's tile. It's a dark room. Shaded by trees outside. But there is dappled sunlight that comes in through the skylight. I like it. It reminds me of Morrocco, and the Medinas, the old walled cities. Dry and hot, inhospitable outside, but within the confines of each family home is a couryard, and a cool fountain to wash your feet and hands. Cool tiles are kept shaded so that they may be a thoughtful retreat from the day's heat. It's funny to think that when I'm peeing in my bathroom...I'm really in Morrocco.

No comments:

Post a Comment