Tuesday, June 21, 2011

How I Will Think of You

Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 4:14pm


"Give me a kiss to build a dream on 
and my imagination will thrive upon that kiss.
Sweetheart, I ask no more than this
...a kiss to build a dream on."  
~Louis Armstrong

It was a warm summer night in the suburbs. The crowd of party-goers had left, leaving behind the memory of the day's festivities. The lingering energy of fun and love, camaraderie and years of time shared ...stories...and laughter permeated the home. The lights were all on and the windows were open, letting in the soft warm air. It was my grandpa's 80th birthday, and everyone came from all over. I made 80 of his favorite cherry cordial candies to share; it seemed like an endless supply at the time. Grandpa had on his favorite blue Hawaiian party shirt. We were all still flying high and enjoying being together. None of us really wanted it to end. So we pulled out some of the old records and put them on. We listened to Louis Armstrong. When it got to "Give Me A Kiss To Build A Dream On" I didn't know that song. 

"Come on! I know you know this song!" my Uncle Bob said. 

"Really, I don't." 

"Awwww....listen to it. Oh everybody knows this song. It's one of the best." My uncle and mom danced. And Grandma sat in her chair and smiled. Grandpa took my hands and did his "Tchh chchTchhhh, Tchh chchTchhhh" it sounded like an old jazz wire brush talking away, keeping the time on the cymbal. After getting halfway through the song, the vocals finally came in. It wasn't an instrumental after all. But it was a beautiful song. My uncle was right. It was one of the best. We switched up partners and danced away that night listening to Louie. I'm glad to have that memory. 

~Rest in peace Uncle Bob. I love you. And I know you loved me.
 ..."Keep smiling!"

 ·  · Share · Delete

No comments:

Post a Comment