Friday, August 16, 2013

Three Year Anniversary

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; 
what we have done for others and the world 
remains and is immortal."
Albert Pike



Dear La Suprema,

It's been three years since you've died. And I miss you every day. But things are going well. I'm learning to make my way in the world without you. It's been filled with a lot of hard and painful lessons. I had no idea how truly wonderful you were when I had you. Mainly because that was all I knew. I made the very silly assumption that the world was filled with people like you. -I was very wrong about that. You are irreplaceable. (sigh)

But! I am learning more and more, what it means to be an adult. It takes a lot of grit and determination. I think the nature of life is struggle. Rising and falling...and rising again. And learning to trust in one's own self. To believe in your greatness. I remember my whole life, I believed in you and rooted you on. And I couldn't understand how someone so wonderful and capable could ever second-guess their talents and abilities the way you did. But now I'm an adult. I'm in the "driver's seat" so to speak, and I get it. When you're in charge, and calling the shots, you also have the burden of risk and failure. And you have to learn to master your fears, and humbly keep going forth. Loving you has taught me how to stay the course when things are dark, when times are hard, and there's no *reasonable* reason to believe that things will end well. You've taught me how to become comfortable in the struggle. To laugh while falling and learning. And I am so grateful that you were my mom. I love you La Suprema. Every single day.

Much Love,
Your Daughter


No comments:

Post a Comment